Wednesday, October 28, 2009

290: Wedding Wednesday #1

We're at 290 days!! Time is just flying by!! Something to be excited about when the weather is pouring rain.


This is going to be a 3 part post-10 trends will be going up over the next 3 weeks!


Today I'll be looking at some of the new trends that brides are incorporating into their weddings. There are lots of new trends, and as a "traditional" couple (mostly J, but we're not way modern or way old school), it's hard to get him to take some of this stuff seriously. I would love to jump on board and use some of these trends if they were all in my style!


I actually googled "wedding trends", and when it came up, I could look at trends for 2009 & 2010. There are a lot of similarities between the two, and I'll put some links at the bottom. Some of these other trends are things I've found to be really popular on WeddingBee, and haven't really found online. The second half will be posted next week!

A HUGE Thank You to all of the Bees that helped me come up with this list!! (The link for that is at the bottom)



1. Photobooth/"Faux"tobooth

Photobooths are becoming really popular at weddings (none that I've been to, but I hear a ton about them!) There are two ways that this can be done.

One is the photobooth:


Where you pay for a certain amount of time & guests can take pictures in there to take home. You can also get a disk with all the guest's pictures! Around here you can check out this place and this place. Blue Apple Productions was at a recent bridal show, and mom & I got to play around (I didn't know which turned out better-you be the judge):


 

They are pretty expensive, starting at about $975, so another option is to make a "faux"to booth. This is a DIY option of the photobooth. You can make up a backdrop, make some props, and either set up a digital camera, or use your computer and set up a program to make it like a real photoboth! You can check out some options of this here and here. I would LOVE to make a "faux"tobooth, but we'll see what happens!

2. Candy Buffets

Candy buffets are new trends which I LOVE (and can hopefully include somehow-even a mini one)! This is so cute and can make the reception look really fancy. It's nice to incorporate your favorite candy and personalize the reception. Guests also get to have some sweets before the cake is handed out! Here's one cute option:




3. Cupcakes/Dessert Table

This is another sweet trend for receptions. Instead of having a cake, the couple decides to have cupcakes or desserts (similar to the candy buffet).

Here are some examples:







4. STD's (Save the Dates)

What better way to help your guests out than to give them STD's? :) This is a great way to make sure family & friends who are invited to the wedding remember what day the upcoming wedding is (which I need to do again soon). This can be done in a variety of ways:











5. Tears of Joy Tissue Packets

This is a really cute idea for those who get a little choked up at weddings. A little packet with a couple of tissues in it so guests can use tissues if they need it. I would really like to use this, if I can do some without doing a lot, since Josh isn't a fan of me doing a ton. :)







6. Mis-matched Bridesmaid Dresses

This is an idea I'm going to be using. This is a great way for each of my girls to look great and like what they're wearing, while still being uniform in the colors I want.

Each girl is going to be wearing a different style, for my wedding, I selected like 10-15 styles that they can choose from, and they have to have fuchsia & yellow (don't worry-you'll see soon enough-I need to post on that too). I'll be posting on this soon, but here's an idea:




7. Monogram/Floral Cake Toppers

So, those plastic little bride & groom toppers are soooo out! While we'll still have the bride & groom topper, it'll be one of the modern ones that are all white, no faces, and are by a heart or something like that. If brides do get the bride & groom type, it's usually customized to look like them.

One thing that many brides are doing are having monogram cake toppers or using flowers for toppers. It's really modern and really cute. I did want to do the monogram, Josh wanted the bride & groom, but I only agreed if it was the modern kind.

Here are some modern types:

The monogram


The floral (this is frosting, but real would be similar)


A modern type



Personalized


8. Bridesmen & Groomswomen

Another trend is having a member of the opposite sex stand on your side. This would be a bride having a guy on her side, these are called bridesmen or men of honor. A groom having a girl on his side, these are called groomswomen, or best maid.


9. Getting Rid of Outdated Traditions

Another new trend is getting rid of outdated traditions. This mostly pertains to knixing the bouquet & garter toss, but could do away with other traditions. Here is one example, Miss Lamb is "tossing" the toss traditions.

We'll be having a pretty traditional event-doing all of those "outdated" traditions!

10. First Look

This is another trend is having the bride & groom see each other before the wedding. This is one thing we WON'T be doing.While I like the benefits of doing the first look (do pictures before, don't have to do pictures later-can just get the ceremony started), I really want Josh's first look of me to be when I'm walking down the aisle.

There will be 2 more posts on trends! I may spred them out a tad, just so you don't have to see all of these and can get a taste of other wedding stuff, but it will get it out of the way. We'll see next week!


Links:
2010 Wedding Trends- about.com
Top 10 2010 Wedding Trends- getmarried.com
9 Wedding Trends for 2009- theknot.com
2009 Trends- Your Wedding Company
My Call for Help on Ideas- WeddingBee

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback & comments! Leave me something :)