Wednesday, December 30, 2009

227: Uniquely Traditional: Uniting Our Families, Part 1

Remember when I was talking about how to personalize our ceremony yet be traditional? (In case you're too lazy to click the link & refresh your memory: I mentioned that I liked the flower ceremony variations and the Cord of Three Strands (which is in that link), and talked about the Cord of Three Strands over there.) Well, I'm finally posting the other unity candle alternative we decided to do!


There are two different variations of using flowers for a unity candle alternative (which I'm calling Unity Flowers):
  • "A simple unity ceremony where the bride and groom exchange roses. Other variations: the families exchange roses, the bride and groom exchange roses with their families, the bride and groom exchange roses, then present their mothers with the roses" (From About)
  • "Use flowers as an alternative to the unity candle. There are several variations for this union available. Place bouquets of flowers in separate vases to be carried down the aisle by the two mothers. During the ceremony, the bride and groom pluck one flower from each bouquet and then place them together in a smaller vase. Another version is for the bride and groom to exchange a single flower as their first married gift to each other. Flowers as a symbol of unity also are appropriate for outdoor or garden weddings" (From e-How)


Both of these are very nice, so after reading through both variations, I decided that I liked the second one the best. I really liked the idea that our families are still there with us even when we start a new family.


I found this picture of Unity Flowers:





It's pretty close to what I've been imagining. I'm not sure if I'd want them all wrapped. If they are wrapped, it would be all of them, and it would be able to be loosened really easily. I'd love to put them in vases like this:



(Also has some info about a flower ceremony)



On the vases (like the centerpieces-which I'll talk about when I decide on them), we'll have J's dad put some vinyl design on them. I'm either going to just use names & dates, or use a monogram (which might be done for centerpieces). Then, our parents can take them home and use them for flowers or decorations and think about us!


So, the important question: what flowers will we use?
  • 7 Daisies for Josh's side. We'll have either Shasta or Gerber daisies (depending on what we can find & what I like) because of Daisy. There will be 7 for his side representing his immediate family (parents, him, his 3 biological siblings & 1 foster sister = 7 total).







  • 4 Lilies for my side. I'm thinking that we'll do Calla lilies, but Stargazer and Tiger lilies are also an option too. I'm not sure on different kinds of lilies. We're having lilies because of my parent's dog, Lily. There will be 4 on this side representing immediate family (parents, me and my brother).








We just need to make sure that we can press the flowers when we're done. I really want to have the flower that Josh & I put into the center vase pressed and framed, so we can have that displayed, without having a dried flower or any fake flowers taking up space. I just need to figure out how to: A) press my own flowers or B) find out where they can be pressed! I'll have to do more research! Don't worry, I'll let you know what ends up happening!




Any ideas on flower pressing? If you wanted to have some traditional parts but didn't really want the traditional Unity Candle, did you tweak parts of the Unity Candle at all or just not do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback & comments! Leave me something :)