Saturday, December 26, 2009

231b: Personalizing the Ceremony: Popular Readings

I've already talked about the other reading and "activity" we'll be doing at the wedding, but before that we'll have two other readings.

We spent a lot of time talking about what we wanted to do for readings (and by "we", I mean "what I wanted and he just said I don't care"). Josh's dad gave us a list of common verses used for readings, and we were looking through them for some ideas. One verse for the readings was a no-brainer. For the first reading, we'll be using the most popular wedding reading/bible verse ever, 1 Corinthians 13.


"1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
 4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
 8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
 13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."                                                
~1 Corinthians 13:1-13

Even though this is the most used bible verse at weddings, I can't help but want this one too. I really just love it. It says a lot about love: how it makes you feel, and you can just tell it's a real description, not something that's made up. I also used it on a slideshow I made for Josh a few years ago for Valentine's Day (the year we tried our hand at homemade gifts).


Another reason is because of a lesson our officiant, C, did at youth group a long time ago (I believe it was before we were leaders, so 4 years ago. I could be wrong though. Either way, he did a lesson...). It was basically for us to think about ourselves and how to better it. We were to read verses 4-12 out loud, as is. Pretty simple. Then, we were to go through, and anywhere it said "love" or "it", replace it with your name. For example, if I was reading it, I would say: "PMerr is patient, PMerr is kind. PMerr does not envy, PMerr does not boast, PMerr is not proud...". It's funny when you get to verse 5, specifically "PMerr is not easily angered, PMerr keeps no record of wrong doings", especially since I do both of those things. I can't remember the exact point of the whole thing, but it makes you realize how you actually are by reading this, and makes you want to be more like the verse and to be like love. 


Are you using 1 Corinthians 13 or another verse? Do they have any meaning to you, or are you just using them?

2 comments:

  1. I love 1 Corinthians 13 and it is such a beautiful passage on love. However, since it is so often used at weddings and I would like for our ceremony to include words that are not typical at weddings, we are opting for a somewhat traditional verse from Ecclesiastes 4:
    9 Two are better than one,
    because they have a good return for their work:

    10 If one falls down,
    his friend can help him up.
    But pity the man who falls
    and has no one to help him up!

    11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
    But how can one keep warm alone?

    12 Though one may be overpowered,
    two can defend themselves.
    A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.


    We may also use a verse from Ecclesiastes 5 which talks about the importance of making and keeping your vows. And finally, I absolutely love a verse from Amos 3:3 which reads
    Do two walk together
    unless they have agreed to do so?

    I love your ideas and how you are incorporating your faith into your ceremony. Very personal and special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're also doing Ecc4. Those other ones are great too!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback & comments! Leave me something :)