Friday, December 18, 2009

239: Fitness Friday #9

Happy Friday!

School's finally out for me until January 25th, so it's a very happy Friday for me! Hope you're all ready for wedding planning to TAKE OVER!!!!! I know I am! Hopefully I can wrap some stuff up before Christmas, but after I'll be a wedding planning machine!

On to Fitness Friday!


Not only is this a good Friday because I'm done with school, I also didn't gain any weight! I didn't lose any either, but it's better than gaining!!

So, the weigh-in this week is:
168.4 lbs (same)

So this week I'll talk a little bit about something I've wanted to for the last few weeks but haven't had the chance to-pilates vs yoga.

Yoga is mostly to help clear the mind and for meditation. There is a lot of focus on coordinating body movement and breathing. Yoga seems to be more about your well-being instead of slimming down.

Pilates is more about control of body movements. While there are some similarities (body awareness and alignment), pilates "The emphasis of the exercises is to strengthen the abdominals, improve posture, stabilize and lengthen the spine, improve balance and overall strength. Pilates gives you a longer, leaner, dancer-like line."


Pilates and yoga can be done together. They both offer different things for your body, and doing them together will make you happier and leaner. "Get the stretch from Yoga and keep it from Pilates. Strengthen your abdominals on the reformer and watch your poses improve. Join the breathing techniques of Pilates and meditative aspect of Yoga into your daily routine and see the stress of your everyday life, begin to dissipate. Both techniques are time-proven, established, and with the help of an experienced instructor, you will surely reach the goals you set up for yourself!"

Sources:
Pilates v Yoga-iVillage
Pilates v Yoga-About

Do you do pilates or yoga? What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I love yoga - it really helps me to relax and my flexibility is much better as a result of my practice. As for pilates, I know people who swear by it but I have yet to try a class. I'll have to give it a shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I like pilates much better! It could also be that I used to be a dancer, but keeping my core strong is really important, since I have some back problems. I feel so much stronger after doing pilates...I guess I just haven't ever gotten into Yoga quite as much...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theoretically, I do both Pilates and Yoga. I love them both. And you're right; Pilates does seem to be more efficient for burning calories and toning up, though there are types of Yoga that can do this, too (ashtanga!). I prefer Yoga, because I hate exercising! I much prefer stretching, and the long period of shavasana at the end. Hahahahah.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback & comments! Leave me something :)