Sunday, December 13, 2009

244: My Dream Wedding

After my recent trip to NYC (and the one we took before we were engaged), I've always thought about how cool it would be to get married in NYC (although I'm unsure how Josh would really think). I was looking up tickets for Top of the Rock before I left and ran into "Engagement on Ice" and thought it would be so cool to do it just for the fun of it, but it looks like it costs about $200 to get engaged, when we're already engaged. I also saw that you could do weddings there too. I left it alone, thinking it would be so cool to have NYC as part of our wedding somehow, since I've completely fallen in love with the city!

Today, my mom & I were looking for ornament sites online, (since we didn't buy any but wanted one) and went to the Empire State Building site to see if she could find one she saw there. On the side bar, was a link to "Get Married at ESB on Valentine's Day"  She pointed it out, I couldn't believe my eyes and I knew I had to go try to win. This is the perfect way for us to get married in NYC on OUR DAY!



The details:
  • Ceremony on Valentine's Day (Valentine's Day weekend) Confusing...not sure which day, but still!
  • 14 couples will win
    • 1 Grand prize
      • Ceremony on 86th floor observatory
      • Up to 40 guests
    • 13 win 
      • Ceremony within the building
      • After the ceremony everyone can go to the 86th floor observatory
      • Up to 20 guests
    • Champagne toast
    • ESB photo album
  • Submit your love story and tell us why you want to marry, renew our vows, or affirm your commitment at the world's most romantic building, the Empire State Building, on Valentine's Day
  • Entries must be submitted by December 15, 2009
  • Winners chosen & notified on December 16, 2009
I just went over & entered my name! The contest ends on the 15th and the winners are chosen and notified on the 16th! I find out really soon, so if I actually get chosen, I can plan things really soon. I'd be ecstatic if I could win!

Imagine photos like this (all images from Google):





Have you found any contests that you felt were meant to be?


Addition: My actual entry is here. Below is my original post, which was way to long to include in the entry, but would love to post the entire thing somewhere, since I spent so long writing it!! Enjoy!


I "met" my fiancé at the beginning of 10th grade; he "met" me 2 years earlier in 8th grade. We were both going to the same school for about three and a half years before we both knew each other and started dating. He first saw me band, where my teacher talked a lot about my friend and me, and I first saw him at a church event that my church hosted in October 2003. He was playing drums and when I saw him playing, I couldn’t get him out of my mind. I realized he was in band and another class with me, and in December 2003 I sent him an e-mail telling him I liked him. We talked a few times and on Valentine’s Day, and since he was on his way down to Florida, he had his brother bring me roses, violets, balloons and a poem asking me to be his girlfriend. I said yes, and knew that I was supposed to be with him for the rest of my life. We were 15 years old, and couldn’t even drive a car yet. After that, I deemed Valentine’s Day “our day” and hoped that we would be engaged and married on Valentine’s Day. I even counted on getting engaged on our five year dating anniversary and married on our six year anniversary.

A year and a half after we started dating, we graduated high school together and I started college. We have been through many life events; family births, family deaths, and adopting a dog of our own together in the four and a half years we had known each other. Adopting a 9 month old dog with separation anxiety brought us together more than anything else had at that point, and that (I feel) eventually led to us getting engaged. We spent more time together watching her, since she would tear things apart if we left her out or would poop in her crate. It left a lot of cleaning to do multiple times a week, and two emotional people trying to deal with her anxiety. We did get engaged on our five year dating anniversary, Valentine’s Day 2009. He tried to keep everything a secret so I wouldn’t find out, but by keeping everything secret I assumed it would happen. At the end of the day, we got our dog and took a walk to the gazebo in town where we danced to my favorite song and he proposed to me with a ring he picked out on his own. It was the happiest I had ever been.

The first week of being engaged I was miserable though. We had our heart set on a Valentine’s Day 2010 wedding, but my parents had other plans. They wanted me to finish school first, and wanted me to wait until after I graduate in May to get married. It was a long, hard week, but in the end, we made the tough decision to get married six months later, August 14, 2010. Both of our parents agreed that would be better than planning a wedding while in school, everything started coming together once we picked the date and all that matters is that we get to spend the rest of our lives together, but still have Valentine’s Day in the back of our minds. An 18 month engagement is also turning into be a very long engagement!

In 2008, we went to NYC. NYC was our first major vacation we went on by ourselves. We stayed with a friend who was student teaching, and had a whole week to explore the city during the day. It was my first time in NYC and his second time, but the first time was when he was 10. We experience a lot navigating through the city, doing all the tourist attractions and experiencing the city life. While we don’t want to leave our families and living in the big city year-round, we fell in love with the city and couldn’t wait to go back. This past weekend I got the chance to go to NYC again with my fiancé and my family, their first time going. We were lucky enough to have been on the Empire State Building twice in less than two years, once in the morning and once at night. It’s so amazing to see the entire island of Manhattan from one place. We had a great time, and when we got home my mom and I were looking for ornaments on the Empire State Building website when we saw a link to this contest.

I was so excited when I saw this link. It would be my dream wedding! My mom encouraged me to enter as well, so I’m pretty sure it would be the only way she’d allow me to get married on Valentine’s Day! I’ve had my heart set on getting married on Valentine’s Day since the day my fiancé asked me to be his girlfriend. Getting married on the Empire State Building would be an amazing wedding to call mine, especially with it being on Valentine’s Day. My wedding is the most important and greatest day of my life, and I would love a unique way to get married. This would be a great memory for us and our families to share. It would be a great/modern wedding for two 21 year olds to experience and someday tell our children about. It would mean so much to both of us to get married on top of the Empire State Building and share it with our closest family and friend on the most important day of our lives.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! We appreciate you reading through this and any consideration you give us!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! Love your entry and will be sending positive vibes!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback & comments! Leave me something :)