Friday, December 11, 2009

246: Fitness Friday #8

Ahhh! So I meant to finish this an post this on Friday, but with going to NYC I totally forgot to finish it & post it! So I'm finishing & posting it now (with Friday's date so I don't need to change the days left)! Please forgive me!! I didn't change anything, and just added the parts I forgot. I did do my measurements (NOT weight) after the trip to NYC, so hopefully it's not affected too much from what it was on Friday.

It's FRIDAY!!

And it's even better for me, because it's my last Friday of classes until January! I still have a couple of exams next week, but I'm done with classes! It's exciting!!




So this week after my weigh-in & measurements, I'll be talking a little bit about walking & why it's good! I was going to compare pilates and yoga, but I'm going with the family to NYC tonight (only for a day, but still!) and we'll be doing tons of walking!!


This week was pretty good, even though I wasn't expecting it to be! I was still getting not as much sleep as I wanted to, and I was still frantically working on some projects. I'm done now though!

Here are this weeks results: (again, hopefully I'm measuring in the same places)

  • Weight: 168.4 (1 lb loss)
  • Hips: 40" (1" gain)
  • Natural Waist: 31" (1" loss)
  • Upper Arms: 12.5" (no change)
  • Thighs: 24" (no change)
  • Calves: 16" (0-1" increase)
  • BMI: 30.8 (Courtesy of National Institute of Health) (0.5 loss)

 This week I'll just list some benefits of walking. Everyone should be getting 10,000 steps per day, since this is about 30 minutes of exercise. Steps can be "translated" by doing other things like biking, gardening, etc. There are a few sites that are good for finding ways to get more steps in: America on the Move & The Walking Site.

Benefits:
  • Managing weight
  • Control blood pressure
  • Lowers risk of heart attacks & strokes
  • Lowers risk of breast cancer & type 2 diabetes
  • Improves mood
  • Stay fit & strong
Some tips before you start walking:
  • Wear comfy clothing & shoes
  • Warm up
  • Stretch
  • Cool down
  • Start slow
  • Use a good technique
  • Measure the intensity

Sources:

Do you get a chance to walk as much as you want? How are you making sure you walk more?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback & comments! Leave me something :)