Friday, December 4, 2009

253: Fitness Friday #7

Happy Friday!!!







I'm pretty excited that this is the second to last Fitness Friday I'll be writing at school! Next week is the last week of classes, and then a week of exams, and I'll be free til the end of January!


On to Fitness Friday!:

 
This week wasn't the best, and I knew that before my weigh-in today. This week has been pretty stressful with classes and having 3 presentations and trying to work with different groups. I went the library two days this week, both days I got coffee and one day I got a cookie, and I think I didn't get more than 6 1/2 hours of sleep for most of the week. But, even taking all that into account, my weigh-in wasn't horrible either!


This weeks weight:
169.4 lbs, a 0.8 lb gain


Not horrible for a rough week!


I thought I'd talk hydration this week! I realized yesterday that I always buy Powerade (mostly because of price), but is that better than any other sports drink or even water? I decided to look and see what the best way to keep hydrated is when working out!



I'm just full of crazy pics today!

There are three options to choose from (well, there are more, but there are three things for sports hydration):
  • Sports Drinks (Gatorade, Powerade, etc)
  • Energy Drinks (Red Bull, Volt, Vital Energy (a local drink), etc)
  • Water 
Some differences between sports drinks & energy drinks are that sports drinks mostly hydrate and replenish fluids while energy drinks mostly boost performance using caffine. Sports drinks are definitely better for you because of the lack of caffine. An important piece of information: "energy drinks should NOT be used during exercise because the combination of fluid loss from sweating and the diuretic quality of the caffeine can lead to severe dehydration" (from here).

So we'll look at sports drinks vs water. Water does a lot for the body:
  • Transportation of nutrients / elimination of waste products.
  • Lubricating joints and tissues.
  • Temperature regulation through sweating.
  • Facilitating digestion.

Water is really important for athletes to keep them performing well and safe, but what does water do that sports drinks don't? Sports drinks really don't quench thirst because of the flavors of the drinks, but they do provide electrolytes and carboydrates. Water actually is said to hydrate better, since it is natural. Basically, sport drinks are better for excessive sweating and exercise. Water does just fine for less intense work outs (it's better on the wallet too).

Which do you usually use?

There are lots of sites, but there's lots of interesting information I didn't put in here. If you have the time, go check it out!


Sources:
Sports vs Energy
Sports vs Water
Sports vs Water
Drinks
Sports Drinks
Sports Drinks
Sport Drink Comparison

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting feedback & comments! Leave me something :)