Tuesday, February 2, 2010

193: Putting a Roof Over Their Heads

I finally got around to calling some area hotels to reserve a block of rooms for our out-of-town (OOT) guests. I made a list of 7 hotels in one area to call and just get some basic information from them. There were some I really liked, and some I didn't, so here's the experience I had while calling hotels.*

List of Hotels:
  1. Holiday Inn
  2. Hampton Inn
  3. Comfort Inn
  4. Extended Stay America
  5. Marriott
  6. Courtyard Marriott
  7. Residence Inn Marriott

I'm really not a fan of talking on the phone, especially calling places, which is why it took me about 2 weeks to get around to calling all of these hotels. I called Holiday Inn first, and it went well, which made it better calling the other hotels! All of the hotels that I called gave me the same answers (no fees/obligations if a certain number aren't booked, put rooms back in inventory a month before the date, no fee for distributing OOT bags, the prices were the big difference that each one had.
  • Holiday Inn (Girl was very friendly)
    • $117.98+tax
    • Internet (& breakfast, I think) is included
  • Hampton Inn (Loved the girl, very nice, lots of "benefits)
    • $119
    • Complimentary continental & hot breakfast, including make your own Belgian waffles
    • Heated pool
    • Exercise room open from 6am-midnight
    • Personalized webpage (free)
    • We get a free night if 20 rooms are booked (we're reserving 15)
  • Comfort Inn (The guy seemed to just want me off the phone)
    • $119.99 or $99.99 for 2 queen beds
    • The guy wasn't really helpful
  • Extended Stay America
    • $69.99 for 1, $74.99 for 2
    • Extended Stay, so it's not a block, guests would just book
    • More expensive for families with more than 2
  • Marriott
    • $129
    • Full service-all meals
    • Free wi-fi
    • Pool
    • I think she said we get a free room if 50 are booked. That seems a lot. It might be 15.
  • Courtyard Marriott
    • $99
    • Limited service-breakfast included
    • Pool
    • Free wi-fi
  • Residence Inn Marriott
    • $139
    • Extended stay
    • Free wi-fi
    • Pool
After thinking about each hotel I called, I really like the Hampton Inn and the Courtyard Marriott. I've stayed at Courtyards before, and they're very nice (and cheaper for guests), but the Hampton Inn offered a lot of extras, for only $20 more per guest.

I originally thought of reserving blocks at 2 hotels, the Hampton Inn and the Courtyard Marriott. It gives them an option in case they have a preference, or want to pay a different price with different offerings. Josh would prefer to just go with one, so I'm a little undecided if we book both, or just the Hampton Inn.

How many hotels did you reserve blocks at? Is it better to reserve at 2, or just 1? Did you get any good benefits?

*I am no way endorsed by any hotel or against any hotel. This is just what I liked and felt when I called around. Prices, hotel chains, and other facts are true for the hotels I called. They might be different at hotels near you.

3 comments:

  1. I ended up reserving blocks at two hotels, but only because they are literally right next door to one another and they're owned by the same company, and I'm dealing with the same manager.
    The Holiday Inn Express is $119/night and the Quality Inn is $69/night. This way I'm giving the guests options. And we're blocking about 50 rooms, so I don't mind if they're split between the two hotels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think guests might appreciate an option, so I'm with you on reserving at a couple of hotels. The ones you picked sound great

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm only blocking rooms at one, but I am providing my guests with information for other hotels, in case they want to go somewhere else!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting feedback & comments! Leave me something :)